Sandy Point Light on the Chesapeake Bay. Located at the southern mouth of the Magothy River, just off Sandy Point State Park and clearly visible from the Bay Bridge. It is a caisson light with an octagonal brick dwelling and tower. Originally it was requested a screw-pile light be built in this area. But problems with winter ice and the screwpiles had developed so additional funds were requested for a caisson. No more money was available so they compromised. They built a caisson foundation, sunk it, and then built a smaller less expensive brick tower on it. It was first lit on October of 1883. Sandy Point is a bright red light with a white roof.